Wednesday, July 9, 2008

OBAMA DAUGHTERS' OPINIONS: White House life would be 'very cool,' dad talks too much



OBAMA DAUGHTERS' OPINIONS: White House life would be 'very cool,' dad talks too much

Dad, you don't shake kids' hands. Just wave or say "Hi."

Malia and Sasha Obama, who would be the youngest kids in the White House since Amy Carter if their father wins the presidency, got their say in an interview on Access Hollywood starting Tuesday night.

They say they wish he wouldn't come home and plop his heavy bag down in the doorway over their shoes, where they trip on it.

The whole family sat down for an interview against a very western, dude ranch-like backdrop in Butte, Mont., on the Fourth of July, Malia's 10th birthday. Sasha is 7.

Sometimes during this long election cycle, they have accompanied their father on the campaign trail, bringing water pistols along for fun.

"It's a lot more fun than listening to Daddy talk," Michelle Obama said, prompting Sasha to raise her hands, opening and closing them as she said "blah, blah, blah," to mock her father talking.

"They basically cut out when I [start talking]," Barack Obama said.

Not too far into the interview, a bored Sasha said, "Mommy, when are we getting ice cream?"

"We're getting ice cream? Ice cream is my favorite food. I could eat ice cream forever," Malia said.

"Everybody should like ice cream," Sasha said. "Except Daddy. My dad doesn't like sweets."

Obama confessed, "I'm not a real sweets guy."

Malia and her Dad noted he does like pie, especially pumpkin pie.

"He likes like minty gum; he doesn't like bubble gum," Sasha said.

"I'm a little conservative when it comes to my gum," Obama conceded.

Obama doesn't mind his daughters giving him tips on being "cool."

"My friend Sam, she came over," Malia said. "Daddy has never met Sam before. . . . He's like 'Hi,' and so he shook her hand, and I was like, 'You know Daddy, you really don't shake, you know, kids' hands that much. You shake adults' hands.' And he's like, 'Then what do you do?' You just wave or say 'Hi.' "

"She avoids me embarrassing her by giving me these tips, especially when I'm around her friends," Obama said.

What do the girls think about the prospect of moving into the White House?

"It would be very cool," Sasha said.

"My most excitement about it is that I get to redecorate my room," Malia said.

Since he cinched the nomination, Obama has usually been able to spend at least one day a week at home. When he makes time to show Michelle some affection, the kids are OK with that, they said.

"They like it when Mommy and Daddy hold hands, and we hug and we cuddle," Michelle Obama said.

"Sometimes when you get to be a teenager, sometimes people think it is embarrassing. I like it though," Malia said.

They still find time to squeeze in romantic interludes, Michelle Obama said. She sits on his lap and tells him she is proud of him.

"Barack is very romantic," she said. Turning to him, she said. "You brought me flowers the other day . . . he always brings me flowers."

Pressed on what romantic thing she had done lately, Michelle thought for a moment then turned to her husband and said, "I take care of your children. That is love."

"That's very romantic," he agreed.

Obama's opponent, John McCain, has seven children, including a Marine who has served in Iraq.

0 comments:

Recent Posts

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template